Translate

Friday, December 12, 2008

FAVORITE ORNAMENTS...

My favorite ornaments. Well, these are my most favorites. These are the ones who have real stories with them, and most have been around for quite awhile. Every year I would buy or make each one of my kids an ornament. I would put the date on it. I usually bought a few extras for the tree as well. When my girls moved into their own places, that was one of the first things they wanted... Their ornaments! It touched my heart, to know that they loved them, even when I didn't think they cared!


Gramma Cook's Glitter. This was given to me, by my cousin Kathy, who was sharing old photos, cards and ornaments with my sisters an I. It was in a little glass jar, and simply marked Glitter. My sisters and I fought over it! And ended up splitting it up between us.. (ya.. we're just that kind of crazy!) I put mine in this little bottle, and it's now a new favorite ornament

The Crib. One of my first ornaments when I got married. Dated 1977. It was given to me by my best friend Gloria. I was pregnant, and I thought this was the most wonderful little thing!
 
German paper stars. Although this isn't an original, It brings such wondeful memories, of my mom making them. She used Pastel colored paper strips. always dipped them in wax, then sprinkled them with Glitter. She would MAKE my sisters and I, sell them door to door in the neighborhood!... But people bought them! I can't remember how to make them anymore, but my sister Rita does. Guess I'll have to get a refresher course!
 
My mom's "Candy Garland" Missing most of the Flocking, but It's still so cute and colorful!
 
....The "infamous" handmade BROWN Candle. Made by my daughter Allison, when she was about 6 years old!...I'll always remember her excitement. She decided to show it to me as I was backing out of the driveway of the school. "Wanna see my candle??"... "Yes, I do!" from the back seat, she flung it in front of my face, and I had to stop the car because I was laughing so hard! I love this silly thing! I only wish they had picked any color but BROWN!
 
Ok, how many of you have a slice of Pizza hanging on your tree? LOL This "slice" was made from Salt dough. It is in tribute to my dad's homemade Pizza, that we always had every Christmas Eve.

These worn old ornaments are about the only ones left from my childhood. Though they aren't the prettiest, they're most loved.

OH! how I love this one. It is tiny and sweet, and still has a piece of old twine and rusted wire, used to hang it. I can still remember when there was a whole box of them, each nestled in there own little place, in the original box. I'm so lucky it survived over 50 years!

Another childhood favorite. These bells usually hung on a door, or in the window. there were two of these, and I don't know what happened to the other.

Do you have one too? These cute little Elves are supposed to be hidden, and everyday during Christmas, they're supposed to "magically appear" in a different spot. This one is very old, and I love him!

Ok... THIS ONE is my 2nd favorite. I get so excited when I see it every Christmas. It's like seeing a very dear, old friend. It was once just a simple little Toy Umbrella, that held little candy beads inside. My Mom dipped it in wax, and sprinkled it with Glitter, and it's been hanging on the tree since I was 4 years old! I love it!

The Church! We had several of this type of ornament. They each had paper "stained glass" windows, and a hole in the back to insert a Christmas light. I remember how "fun" it was poking out each window, and.... getting in big trouble for doing it! These have became quite collectable, so if you have one hang on to it!
 
This simple little "doily" is very special to me. It was hand made by my Mom, on a hand made "Loom" that my Dad made for her. She made several of them, and I had two, but again, only one has survived. I remember watching her make them back in the 70's. I will love it forever.
 
I love this Ice cream cone ornament!.... yes.. ok.. I keep saying that, and this whole post is about all my favorite ornaments. This was another of my mom's. I have two, the other has a "Chocolate" colored cone, with a crack in it, but I don't even care.
 
A special "Watercolors" ornament, given to me by my Friend Tom Smith, who just passed away in August.

 
My EASYBAKE OVEN ORNAMENT! omg! How excited I got when I saw this Hallmark Keepsake. I had to have it, but it was too expensive. So.. smart, cheap me, waited till after Christmas, and got it for only $5!!! It's actually 2 ornaments in one. The box is an exact replica or the original box, and nestled inside, is the oven, in Turquoise, just like the one I had! The little Pink Cake is scented like "Cake"... And the little Tray slides in and out. Theres a hole in the back to put a Christmas light in, so it "Glows" just like the real ones did.



2 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful Christmas memories with us. I enjoyed reliving all those special moments with you and your tree must be awesome! Your little bell is so delicate and beautiful. I just got my first elf this year. I loved the jar of glitter, too. I hope your holiday season is going along unstressed and happy! Twyla

Linda M. Cain said...

I LOVE the brown candle from Allison!
Linda Cain