Translate

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

CHRISTMAS PAST...

Ahhhh.. my favorite Christmas toys. Just the mere sight of them makes me smile.
Each one brings a flood of memories. (Click on the pic for a better view.)

I created these little photo collages to use on Christmas ornaments I'm making. Each ornament will have my childhood memory on the back.



KISSY

I got my "Kissy Doll" when I was about 5 years old. I really loved that doll! when you squeezed her arms together, her lips puckered, and make this adorable kiss sound!



CRAYOLA CRAYONS

Every Christmas I would get a new box. My mom would wrap it, but I knew what the package was, by just the shape, and a quck shake. Oh they smelled good too! 48 wonderful colors. They were always accompanied by a pack of Manilla paper.


ETCH A SKETCH


An artist's dream! This little magical thing, allowed me hours and hours of drawing. Honing my moter skills too. Shake, shake, shake! So much fun till my sister Susan stepped on it, and cracked the screen. I cried for a long time. My daughter Allison heard this so sad story.... and bought me a brand new one for Mothers day about 10 years ago! Cool!


365 BEDTIME STORIES


I just loved this book! There was a short bedtime story, for every day of the year. Each story told about the goings on, on "What a Jolly Street" and the characters that all lived there. I am happy to say, that I managed to find this Christmas treasure, on Ebay. I even found another one for my PSMWG friend Sheila's 50th birthday.... she actually sobbed when she saw it!


SUZY SMART


Another favorite doll. And not just any doll! She was dressed like a sweet school girl, wearing a crisp white shirt, and plaid skirt. She had her very own school desk...(that I wished I could sit in) and a little easel chalk board. AND SHE COULD TALK!!! "My name is Suzy Smart, I can spell CAT=C-A-T.... DOG=D-O-G. I drove everyone crazy Christmas day... till her batteries started to die.... and her voice got slowwww and deep...... myyyyyyy nammmmeeee isss Suzzzyyyyy Smarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt


BARBIE


WOW!!!! My dear sister Rita got me my first Barbie. The one with the Ash Blonde "Bubble" Hairdo. I was never so thrilled! I also got her White Canopy bed, and "hope" chest, along with severl outfits, including her oh so cool ski outfit, and her Black Chiffon over Aqua cocktail dress.. woah! I loved making her outfits, and used my imagination, creating her "house" Thank you Rita for my Barbie and all the wonderful memories


SLINKY


"IT'S SLINKY, IT'S SLINKY it's a wonderful toy, IT'S SLINKY, IT'S SLINKY, so fun for girls and boys!" This very "high tech" toy, was so cool! I loved trying to make it walk down stairs, and who doesn't love that "ching, ching" sound it made.


EASY BAKE OVEN


Ahhhhhhhh!!! love love love this toy! Cook food with just light bulbs!... Light bulbs so bright, they could burn your Retina's! LOL..... I know I cooked all the little foods the first day! Cookies, Chocolate cake, Pizza, Biscuits even Cherry gum drops. All by just adding water to the little mixes. I can remember the smell the oven had when it was hot. I have a Hallmark "Easy Bake Oven Keepsake ornament, also in Turquoise The little pans actually slide through, and it smells like cake!... I'll share a photo of my favorite ornaments, later.


MAGNAVOX CHORD ORGAN


I actually learned how to play it! And my parents didn't even yell at me to "turn that thing off! My Mom would always ask me to play "Lieberstrom".. one of the music selections in the music book.


So... there they are. Some of my most favorite Christmas toys of my childhood. Write me and tell me what your favorites were, send A pic and I'll post it too!

Next: FAVORITE ORNAMENTS

3 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I Loved! this post! So many memories of my favorite toys too. I had a Magnus organ that I saved up to buy myself. I think it cost $30. I learned quite a bit on it. I also loved Etch a Sketch and crayons. I love how your mother incouraged your artistic side. What girl doesn't fondly remember her first barbie? I still have a very favorite doll from my childhood. Yes, toys are wonderful memories and great themes for Christmas trees. How clever you are?! Have a great week. Twyla

MaryEllen said...

Awhhh Thanks for the post.
I know... doesn't it make you happy just looking at the old favorites!?
have a great day!

MaryEllen said...

Awhhh Thanks for the post.
I know... doesn't it make you happy just looking at the old favorites!?
have a great day!