Translate

Saturday, December 29, 2007

LONG WEEKEND

...........sniff... snifff.... I HAVE A COLD!....DAMMIT!

and I feel like crap. It's been coming on for days. First the raspy throat, just before Christmas. then yesterday, it began. Sneezing, runny nose, throbbing head. Oh well.

I must have looked pathetic at work today, because they let me go home. I was glad of that! Stopped at the store to get a box of Puffs PLUS... a must have, and Dayquil... well, the generic Walmart version. Much cheaper, works just as well.

I came home, and with tissues in hand, went to bed. The good part is that I made it through Christmas without being sick. I have no New Years Eve plans. I will bring in the New Year making art, and watching Dick Clark's New Year Rockin' Eve. Poor Dick.





The (Fake) Gerber Daisy photo, was taken on Christmas day. It was a beautiful sunny, snowless day.


The collage, is a gift from my sister Susan. It's a copy of her original collage, and I love it, and I love what it says:
"Is solace anywhere more comforting than that in the arms of a sister.....~Alice Walker~






Susan's abstract collages, are simply gorgeous!

I'm trying to convince her to start selling online at Etsy, and I think she's gonna do it! She says she's getting a new computer soon, and wants me to help her get set up with an Etsy Shop! Her art is so beautiful, and I think she will do very well.


So... I'm excited about having a chance to do art all weekend. I have lots of ideas with Valentine themes, and for Spring too. The days are starting to get longer instead of shorter now, and I love that. Soon, When I leave work at 6p.m. it will be light out!



... ouch.. my ribs are starting to get sore from all the sneezing!.... sorry.. I'll quit whining now. It's just a cold.










I REMEMBER THEM..................


I've been thinking about some of the things I used to love as a kid
and things I miss, and wish I still had. Like what you ask? here's a list, in no particular order.
How many do you remember?




1-POP BEADS
these were so cool! Little plastic beads, that came out of the gumball machine. they "popped" together, and you could make a cool necklace! They came in light Blue, Pink, Red, Yellow,
Cream & White.




2-MY PINK PRINCESS PHONE
With lighted dial of course. I got one, in 1972 when my parents bought our new house. I had my own room, up in the attic, and had my own phone. Why didn't I take that phone with me when I left!




3-MOSQUITO CHASERS
An odd thing I know. But I loved the way they smelled. You could get them 2 for a penny, at the neighborhood store, which happened to be right next door to us. They were long sticks, like incense, and my sisters and I would swirl them around, to make the lit end glow. Hmmm.. can't believe I was playing with something like that!




4-THE "WINNER"Another gumball machine related thing. The winner, was a little inedible ball, the same size as a gumball. It was usually Yellow, with 2 Red stripes. Getting the Winner was very exciting!!! it meant you got a prize from the store clerk! I got the Winner once.... I remember my heart pounding! I don't even remember what the prize was... But I GOT THE WINNER!!




5-PLAYING MOVIE STAR
First, the sunglasses that cost a dime. They were flat, and hooked around your ears. The plastic lenses were green. Oh, and the so cool "high heels'. Plastic, with elastic straps. After just a few steps, the heels usually cracked off. I also loved buying rings from the neighborhood store. He would present me with a tray of rings, all stuck in foam rubber. They were so sparkly! I could look very Chic for just a dime.




6-PENNY CANDY
Oh what a treat. The store clerk, would get that tiny little brown bag, and stand so patiently, as I made my selections. My favorites? "Maryjanes" "Red hot Dollars" "Tootsie Rolls" "Flying Saucers" "Button Candy" "Pixie Stix" "Lick em ade" and let's not forget the little Marshmallow "Ice cream Cones".... My kids still buy them for me! Oh, and Nickel bags of potato chips.
Lots of good eating for just 10 cents...... hey... why is there no "cent" sign on the keyboards???




7-SITTING ON THE PORCHSuch a simple thing. On a hot summer night, families would sit out side, neighbors would sit on the steps and visit for hours. We would be chasing lightning bugs, or play Badminton under the street lights.




8-COLORINGNothing better than a fat new coloring book, and fresh crayons. Some coloring books were better than others. My favorites always had thick lined pictures, of chubby little girls, flowers, and other charming images. Many happy hours were spent coloring.





9-GHOULARDI Ok.... this one is a local Cleveland thing. Ghoulardi was a local TV host, on Friday nights. In the beginning, he was scary. Then he just got so fun and silly! He always showed B movies, that I now have such a fondness for. His real name was Ernie Anderson. He went on to do voice overs for lots of well known tv shows. I am actually wearing my Ghoulardi sweatshirt right now It was a gift from My kids, about 10 years ago. It's one of my very favorite things.
.








10-BARBIES Truth is, my girlfriends and I never actually played Barbies. We were too busy building their "houses" I remember dragging a whole box of stuff to use for Barbie's house. A book, 4 hair rollers and a scarf would be transformed into her bed. A square pin cushion for her pillow. Tiny boxes transformed into sofas, tables, and dressers. I had such an imagination! My friend Diana and I secretly competed to create the best house.






So.. that's just 10 things I remember fondly. What's yours?
So many things. I think I'll have to have make another list.



It's now it's 3 a.m. I'm watching "Cheers"
I'm feeling pretty wiped out, and I think I'll go to sleep soon. Hopefully, I'll feel better when I get up, and I can get into the art room and do art!

Have a great weekend! and...
HAPPY, HEALTHY, PEACE FILLED NEW YEAR!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm sorry you are not feeling well! I have tonsilitis right now so I feel your pain sister! I too loved the smell of the mosquito sticks and the coils too!!! Remember the "Big Chuck and Little Holahan" that hosted the movies on one of the Cleveland stations? I fondly remember my Bitty Beans doll that talked when you pulled her string (circa 1971) and Marathon candy bars!

MaryEllen said...

Oh poor Tootie!
I've had tonsilitis before.. very painful! I suffered for 2 years straight, then finally got my tonsils out..when I was 18. Many moons ago. But after that, I didn't get sick for 2 years! Get em out!...it's no worse than the pain your in.
Houlihan & Big Chuck!!!!..channel 8 are you a Cleveland Girl?? Yes, they replaced Ghoulardi!!! Then, it became "Big Chuck & Lil John"... they JUST retired a few months ago, and I miss them. Chuck was almost 80!...guess it was time.
I hope you feel better soon.
Have a wonderful, peaceful New Year!

cookievf said...

I hope you're on the mend real SOON! Going over to your etsy shop in a few... thanks for updating us on FLICKR! (And if you add a link to the photo descriptions, it makes it easier to find the listings!)

What a tender, touching collage from your sister - just gorgeous!

Favorite things: I just added a post with my childhood christmas memories, so please stop by!
http://beautyofthegarden.blogspot.com

- vicki xo