Translate

Monday, January 21, 2008

BIRTHDAY GIRL

It's official. I'm 52 years old today. yippee. Well nothing I can do about it right? so... Happy Birthday to me!


I had a fun weekend with my sisters Rita, Susan & Debbie. Once again, we had a "sister day" as we do for each of our birthdays. Each sister gives the birthday girl $50. We started this tradition, about 10 years ago, only back then the amount was $33.33 each. When I turned 50.. we "upped" the amount to $50... inflation ya know. It's great because the birthday girl, can buy just what she wants. I haven't decided what to do with my birthday money yet. Last year I spent it in Vegas!


Sisters Rita and Debbie decided to come over on Friday night. They were trying to dodge the bad weather that was predicted. Susan arrived Saturday morning, and we all headed out in the bitter cold, to breakfast at "Le Peeps" Then off to Akron, to see the Norman Rockwell exhibit. It was so wonderful! If you're in the area, you really should see it!. It's open till February 3. I was fascinated, awed and star struck, seeing these very famous paintings up close. I studied the brush strokes, and the way the light reflected on the oil them. I tried to imagine him sitting and painting. I wondered what he was thinking. The paintings are stunning. Most are very large, which was surprising, as they were created to fit a magazine cover. We stopped at the museum cafe for coffee and I had a Mocha. We headed back home, happy to see that the snow hadn't started flying yet, but the temperatures were dropping, and it was soo cold!

Susan knew of a cool art gallery called "Don Drumm Gallery"
so we headed there, and I just loved it there. One of the galleries, was in a converted house. Painted in Bright Purple! Behind the house, was the larger gallery. Wonderful Pewter pieces, and really unique items. The Pewter pieces inspired me to try and create the same look, using Polymer Clay. I Made a sample piece tonight. I spray painted the heart a bright Silver, then "antiqued" it with Black Acrylic paint, and topped the heart with an Acrylic Gloss sealer. I liked the results, and may make a few pieces like this. What do you think?



I decided to go to dinner early, and had a taste for steak. Outback was right at our exit, so that's where we headed. Dinner was good. We were back home by 7pm. We had planned on doing some art, but we were all so stuffed from dinner, no one had the energy! So we sat around the dining room table, thumbing through Collage magazines and yawning. What a wild bunch eh? I dragged them into the computer room, and we studied our recently aquired family tree, While we drank wine. One by one the sisters headed to bed. I of course fought sleep, and sat at the computer till 2 a.m. I woke up at 8: 30, made coffee, and started breakfast.....another sister/birthday tradition.. ya.. the birthday girl gets to cook!






So. Here it is. Another weekend over. Back to work tomorrow.. (today) I hope my car starts! It's the coldest it's been all Winter. Brrrrrr!

My kids and I have planned to go out to dinner for my birthday, but I haven't picked a date yet. It's hard when we all have to work on weekends. PSMWG "P" Pattie called, and wants to come over this coming Sunday for an ART day! yayy! We never got to do art, last weekend, because we were too busy "being 28" So, I called "G" Gloria, and invited her, and I'll call the other PSMWG's.. Sheila, and Winnie, and see if they can make it too. I love having ART buddies!!!! So, maybe I'll make homemade Pizza, or we'll order Chinese! So... just 59 more days till Spring!!!!!... hurry up already!! Happy "Martin Luther King Day".. he and I share a birthday! And to those who actually get the day off.... Enjoy!... wish I got the day off.. oh well. I still say, birthday's are better than the alternative. I just wish they didn't come so fast. Didn't I just have my 49th. a few weeks ago?? Have a great day!!!




































































































































































































































































































































































































































































2 comments:

Sea Dream Studio said...

Happy belated birthday!! I'm right behind you! EEK! Looks like you had a great celebration!
Love your art!!
take care~dale

MaryEllen said...

Thanks Dale!
Hope you have a great Birthday too!
The only thing that makes Birthdays tolarable, is celebrating them with great family & friends!....oh, the gifts ain't bad either! xox
~MaryEllen~