Translate

Saturday, July 07, 2007

WILL YOU STILL NEED ME WILL YOU STILL FEED ME.....


64?.... NO.. not yet.

I'm just getting used to being 50... ya.. and.. the best part? I'm already 51! omg.. why???? how??? when????....

Sheesh. Well the truth is, I haven't thought about my "age" for awhile. But today, at work.. oh.. yes, I'm working now.. yayyy me. Anyway, I'm working at a call center, taking catalog orders. I talk to people, mostly women all day. The catalogs are geared to "older" women... 50 and up.. and up! damn...

I've learned that the "older" of the old, are lonely, and want to talk, to me.. anyone.. who will listen. They want to talk about their grandchildren, children, pets, and dead husbands. They want to tell you all about where they live, what they like, and how they're boobs aren't as "high" as they used to be. They're mostly "sweet old ladies" who still take pride in looking nice, and smelling pretty. They buy "tummy tuck" creams, 'wrinkle removers" and even... occasionally........ "toys".. YES REALLY!

Today though.. I talked to a man. Who sounded pretty old. He was sweet, and polite, and ordered several items, including 10 "bible Key chains"... "You really want 10?" I said. "yes" he said, "I work with the church".. "that's very nice of you" I said. "yes, I play the Harmonica there, and I bet you've never heard anyone play like me before" he said. "Oh, I wish I could hear you play" I said.. ."ok!" he said. And, before I knew it, my headset was filled with a beautiful sound. I giggled to myself. No one else was hearing in their headsets, what I was hearing in mine. And He was right, I never heard anyone play a harmonica like that. He was playing both the harmony, and melody at the same time! He didn't just play a little, he played

me a whole tune, start to finish. I wanted to laugh, and cry and the same time. He finished, and I wanted to applaud, but could only quietly rave, and shower him with praise. I could practically see him blush right through the phone. Then he said, I bet you can't guess how old I am!... yes I could.. but I didn't. Instead, I said "hmmmm, I think you're oh.. about.. 57-58?"..... He was so tickled by that... " oooh no"... "i'm 93!!!" "you're kidding?" I fibbed. "Nope, I was born in 1914!".. "nooo way!"... he blushed again. I thanked him for my very own one man harmonica concert, and for his order. He made my whole night.

Well. It all made me think. About getting old, having family, friends, and being lonely. And did I make my harmonica player happy just by letting him play for me? I hope so.


What will it be like when I'm "old" I hope someone will want to listen to my "Harmonica" one day too.

(note: photograph of my great grandmother, Odile Bertrand)

So... I'd just like to say.... Love the old people, if you're lucky, you're gonna be one too.

No comments: