Translate

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

HAPPY THANKSGIVING


Hope your Thanksgiving will be just the way you like it!

Mine, will be spent at home with my kids, Eddie, Jamie & Allison, And friends, Gloria & Laure.

I'll be cooking (our family's) traditional Dinner:
Turkey, Italian Sausage Stuffing, Mountains of Mashed Potatoes, and a Gallon of Giblet gravy. Corn, Candied sweet Potatoes, Crescent Rolls & Pumpkin and Cream pies.... and
a few extra goodies!




One of my most favorite smells, is my kitchen, when I'm making Thanksgiving dinner. I also love the way the windows steam up.
(I read last year's post.. and mentioned the very same things..yes.. I really love it that much!)



The Thanksgiving weather forecast for Northeast Ohio....

Temps. in the low 40's with a chance of rain or snow showers. November has been unseasonably mild!.. in the low 50's.. we even had a couple of 70's in the beginning of the month! We've actually made it thus far.... with nary a snowflake!... this is remarkable! and almost unheard of 'round these parts this time of year and I am very THANKFUL for that!! I just looked at last years pictures...... We had SNOW right before Thanksgiving....ugh.

I love this picture of my mom, Mary, carving a Turkey.
Her maiden name was "Cook"... and she certainly was an awesome cook! The family recipes we all love so much, were hers. And her Italian Sausage stuffing recipe is "coveted" in our family! For the record, and in case my sister Susan is reading...... SAGE GOES IN THE STUFFING.. NOT PAPRIKA.... : )....yes... it's an inside joke.

I miss my mom.. and her cooking. She passed away at age 57 (yes, very young) in 1983


I also miss saving the Turkey Legs & Wings for my Dad. I think he was the only one who liked the dark meat! and I miss my dad. He passed away at age 74, in 1993.
But they're always in my heart, and not a day goes by that I don't think of them.
I am very, very brave.. for posting the last photo... gulp... of me..
dressed.. as a PILGRIM........ omg.. I need more wine.....!
My mom, thought it would be "just adorable" to dress me up... take pictures of me basting the turkey.. and posing at the table.... omg!!!

lol.. She wanted to send the photos to her mom, who had just moved to Alabama.
It never dawned on me to "object" and say "NOOOO WAYYY!"
My siser Rita hand made the whole costume! Sure.. SHE didn't have to wear the damned thing! LOL..
So, have a good laugh, be THANKFUL it wasn't you.
I am up wayyy too late as always....... I was in bed, till Jamie called.. and now I'm wide awake.

She and I will be making the stuffing Wednesday night. It's "our" tradition! and we've been doing it together for about the past 10 years.
So... I have a lot to be thankful for. Family, friends, health a job.. (even though I hate it)..... I am blessed in so many ways.
I hope you have a wonderful day, with the ones you love, wear "stretchy" pants, and enjoy your leftovers!.. Bless you!

1 comment:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

MaryEllen, I Love the picture of you as a pilgrim! You look so cute! I just know you are going to have a wonderful day with your kids and friends. The ones that aren't at the table will be missed, but so glad you have sweet memories of them. Such a shame your mom passed so young. We will be going to my parents. They still are able to cook the dinner and like doing it. The weather has been mild until tomorrow. It's supposed to be cold and a hard freeze tonight. I guess it had to happen sometime. I hope your luck holds out and you don't get snow for a long time! Have a blessed Thanksgiving! Twyla