Translate

Monday, December 05, 2011

IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR

The holidays!
I have a love-hate relationship with them.
I love the tradition and the idea of family and gathering...and of course the FOOD.
I hate getting the "gottas"... "Gotta buy a Turkey" "Gotta clean the house" "Gotta make the stuffing" "Gotta buy presents" "Gotta put up the tree"

I know...... It's all worth it. Being with my kids, family and friends.
But holidays aren't what they used to be. Ha! how many times has that been said?
  I know, it's memories of childhood, wide eyed, and full of anticipation. Gifts and the glitz. I was clueless as to what it really took to really "make" the holiday's special.
Not till I had my own children, did I realize what went into "happy holidays."
Making it special and memorable was a lot of work.

Last Christmas, I was busy making my family's traditional homemade pizza, I posted on facebook: "My whole house smells like Pizza!"...... my  31 year old daughter Jamie commented with  "I can't wait! thanks for always making Christmas special." That simple sentence, brought me to tears! My efforts did not go un-noticed! she appreciated it me ...it was all worth it.
I'll be the first to admit. I took for granted, that my mom would have our traditional foods for the holidays, I'd have presents, and it would always feel like Christmas. I'm sure I said how good it all was and thanks, but not sure if I ever said "thanks for always making Christmas special"...... 
So... it's important, to let those people know, how you appreciate them and their efforts  for your happy holidays.

...... This is what you get from me at 4:17 a.m. .... a poorly written editorial. lol.. but I'm sure you get the message. : )

1 comment:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Hi MaryEllen! I hear ya! I have a love hate relationship with Christmas also. There is so much to do and I don't have time to do what I Want to do. I feel the burden to 'make' Christmas happen for people and don't want to let anyone down. We have traditional foods, too and as we all get older, those are some of our fondest memories. It is great to hear from you again! Let's both try to relax and enjoy the season, okay? Twyla